MANY OF YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO VISIT THE MANY IMPORTANT HISTORICAL SITES OF THE FELLOWSHIP OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS.

I PLAN TO SHARE WITH YOU PHOTOS I HAVE TAKEN OF THEM AS WELL AS PHOTOS I HAVE TAKEN OF SPECIAL MEETING LOCATIONS THAT I HAVE VISITED.





Wednesday 29 May 2024

MAY 29, 24 .. I WAS READING AN ARTICLE FROM THE A.A. GRAPEVINE..

I am stunned. 

I can not possibly imagine, after being active on this website for almost ten years, why I have never discussed the topic of A.A. members getting, and using, outside help and assistance from medical professionals.

We MUST begin with Tradition 5.

Each group has but one primary purpose -- to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.

Sports Fans, THAT IS IT for us. We share our own experience, strength and hope with other alcoholics to help them stop drinking alcohol. 

If I fall down, and break a hip, please take me to a Medical Doctor NOT to an AA Meeting!

Just stopping drinking alcohol will NOT solve each and every single life issue that we all have. 

Now let's read what page 133 of the AA Big Book says..

God has abundantly supplied this world with fine doctors, psychologists, and practitioners of various kinds. Do not hesitate to take your health problems to such persons. Try to remember that though God has wrought miracles among us, we should never belittle a good doctor or psychiatrist. Their services are often indispensable in treating a newcomer and in following his case afterward.

The "Stage is now Set".

Just the other day..

I WAS READING AN ARTICLE FROM THE A.A. GRAPEVINE..

On line, on my smart phone's AAGRAPEVINE App, April 2024 issue, I continued the above article..





Back in the mid-1980's, Clancy I (who was a personal friend of mine) was saying from his speaker's podium that people who were using psychiatric medications were not working the AA Program. 

As a result of this flawed thinking, some people stopped taking prescribed medications and began successfully committing suicide!

Yes! Oh Yes! I know the above is "Old Stuff" that dates back into the mid-1980's. 

In the years since, I myself have openly shared my own issues in meetings and heard countless others do the same. The 12 Steps on the meeting wall will NOT cure physiological brain chemistry problems.

We also have (something like 349) AA pamphlets that address mental health and countless other 'outside' issues.


But I had not evenly "remotely" touched this very serious issue here on our website and wanted to "finally" do so.


6 comments:

  1. This was always a hot topic back in the 80s and 90s. Every time I heard someone say that, I got riled up and pointed out the page in the Big Book that said we may need to seek outside help. It still bothers me to this day how people were damaged by these well meaning arrogant idiots. And I would not be at all surprised if a few people weren't still spouting that nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen Brady3 June 2024 at 12:44

      Forgot to add my name :-)

      Delete
    2. Kathleen Brady3 June 2024 at 12:50

      I went back to https://aaphotoshere.blogspot.com/search/label/Treatment%20Center%28s%29 . What a phenomenal journey through Siberia. I didn't go to a treatment center myself but I know many who did and were grateful for the opportunity to be pulled away from their life of destruction.

      Delete
    3. S.W. in London7 June 2024 at 22:47

      Yes indeed Kathleen. You are correct! This was always a hot topic back in the 80s and 90s. Bob Earll really brought it to the forefront. Bob got into counseling and discovered that he could not remember anything in his life prior to age 16 (or so) years. Thanks for your taking the time to read and then to comment here. Your Allies .. Cap and Patti

      Delete
    4. S. W. in London7 June 2024 at 22:51

      Wow Kathleen. Back in time you went to our Post dated FEB 25, 2019. I so clearly recall that trip and meeting. Yes indeed. What a journey through Russian Siberia it all turned out to be. After Patti had some degree of good fortune in a treatment center up here I came to a new realization of the good work they are doing. Smiles .. Cap and Patti

      Delete
    5. S. W. in London7 June 2024 at 22:52

      Nice you added your name to the comments Kathleen. Cap and Patti

      Delete