MANY OF YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO VISIT THE MANY IMPORTANT HISTORICAL SITES OF THE FELLOWSHIP OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS.

I PLAN TO SHARE WITH YOU PHOTOS I HAVE TAKEN OF THEM AS WELL AS PHOTOS I HAVE TAKEN OF SPECIAL MEETING LOCATIONS THAT I HAVE VISITED.





Tuesday 25 October 2022

OCT 25, 22 .. TRADITION 10


I cannot believe this : I have not yet shared my own personal experience about the 10th Tradition. 

In many meetings around the world, it is common to name as a topic, the step that coincides with the number of the month. Often one meeting a month the topic will be the tradition that coincides with the number of the month. And when this occurs, often you will hear muffled groans because, in general, the traditions are somewhat of a bore to some, if not many, members.

October is the 10th month, thus the 10th step is often discussed during October meetings. 

Often you will hear .. 

"The Steps keep us from killing ourself. The Traditions keep us from killing one another!"

"The Steps are for the individual members . The Traditions are for the Groups."

During the 9 months that I spent in Russia carrying the AA message, two things stood out and actually amazed me.

1. Never ever at any time in any meeting, large or small, did I ever hear any resistance or negativity to the word God.

I don't know what I was expecting but I certainly thought there would be some opinions (Do we have to believe in God?) concerning God or a Higher Power.

2. The Russian members were especially interested in The Traditions and often asked me to share my experience and insight into them.

I was certainly happy that I had a strong background in The Traditions.

- - - - - - - - 

Tradition 10 : Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy.

The Washingtonian Society was an organization established to help alcoholics. It flourished and did quite well in the 1840's but then quickly failed because it allowed its members to get involved in issues that were outside the purview of helping only alcoholics. 

If you study the 10th Tradition in the A.A. book TWELVE STEPS and TWELVE TRADITIONS, on page 178-179 you will read  .. "The Washingtonians permitted politicians and reformers, both alcoholic and nonalcoholics to use the society for their own purposes." .. "Within a few years they had completely lost their effectiveness in helping alcoholics."

The Question is : How can Tradition 10 be applied to our own, individual lives?

The importance of attending meetings of the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous cannot be overstated.  Out of all the various reasons that members relapse, the number one reason for relapse is that they stopped attending meetings.

This is is why we often warn new members about getting involved in a personal relationship. Often relationships break up with some angst and animosity between the two people. Then, because they don't want to see each other at meetings, they stop going to meetings and they risk losing their sobriety! 

Now we come to my own personal experience this week with another member of the fellowship and how I used Tradition 10 to avoid antagonizing a good friend. If it is possible, I don't want to be-at-odds with any member!

The Green Bay Packers, a famous professional football team, are the passion of Green Bay and, to some degree, the State of Wisconsin. In fact the Green Bay Packers are a publicly owned corporation basically consisting of the population of Green Bay. The people own the team.

My good friend (not his real name) is Yale. Yale was born and raised in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Guess what? He is one avid Packer fan. 

I have come to, I hope temporarily, dislike the current Green Bay Packers quarterback, Aaron Rodgers. And it happens that the Green Bay Packers led by Aaron Rodgers are, at least at this point in the season, having a very poor season with 3 wins and 4 losses. 

Guess what? Knowing how much he likes "his Packers", knowing how he hangs on them, I texted him as follows : 

"Yale .. .. Oh My OH MY .. today's FINAL .. Washington 23 - 21 The Pack !"

He replied : "No reminders please that we SUCK!"

Then it hit me like the proverbial-ton-of-bricks! This is a good friend. This is an issue outside of A.A. I don't want to upset Yale and risk the possibility of having our relationship go-South over an outside issue. 

Step 10 to the rescue. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

I texted him : You know Yale.. After I sent that text I was sorry.. I know.. You know.. all of Green Bay, if not all of Wisconsin, knows how The Pack are doing.. So Yale I plan to refrain from all future comments about The (YOUR) Pack. Some day I'll get into Tradition 10 as is applies. Your Ally.."

He replied : "It's ALL Good!!!"

Then this very evening, a few hours ago, as I sat in a meeting with Yale, before the meeting I very nearly said to him, "Will you be watching The Pack play the Buffalo Bills in Buffalo on Sunday Night Football on NBC?" Knowing the Bills are 10.5 point favorites, the top team in the AFC and may kill poor Dale's Packers.

And? I did as I promised in my text and I said not one word! I just smiled at him and kicked some dirt!

That's How It Works ! IF you work it.

It's called .. Doing-The-Deal !

Ciao4now ..



No comments:

Post a Comment