MANY OF YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO VISIT THE MANY IMPORTANT HISTORICAL SITES OF THE FELLOWSHIP OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS.

I PLAN TO SHARE WITH YOU PHOTOS I HAVE TAKEN OF THEM AS WELL AS PHOTOS I HAVE TAKEN OF SPECIAL MEETING LOCATIONS THAT I HAVE VISITED.





Friday 30 October 2020

OCT 30, 20 .. STEP 10 .. SPIRITUALITY .. DOING-THE-DEAL ..

As we come to the end of October (the 10th month of the year) here is another look at Step 10 along with Spirituality and Doing-The-Deal.

How often do many of us hear these words (from Chapter 5, How It Works, in the Big Book) : "If you have decided you want what we have .." 

What have we? 

As it says in the Big Book (pages 15, 28 and 81) "We have a design for living."

There is one small 'catch' here. After we read and hear the words in Chapter 5.. "If you have decided you want what we have" .. the following words are read .. "and are willing to go to any length to get it" .. "then you are ready to take certain steps."

The way to find, and to implement, our design for living is to work* the 12 Steps.

*work is an action !! The path to our design for living is not a free ride. 

I want my own personal design for living to allow me to feel happy, joyous and free. I want to feel good about myself. 

DOING-THE-DEAL (continue to do what worked for you)

You work the first nine steps and then, in steps 10 / 11 / 12, you continue to Do-The-Deal.

Spiritual Awakening / Experience

Appendix II of the Big Book (SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE) tells us that we have undergone a profound alteration (change) in our reaction to life.

In the spiritual world (NOT so in the physical world) if one of us can change, then we all can change. If we alter our reaction to life one time, then we can again do so.

Because I have been able to achieve the following, so too can you if you want what we have.

Doing-The-Deal 

Because I want to continue to experience our design for living I have to continue to do-the-deal.

I recently took a very serious fall. In falling I hurt my right arm (from my right wrist up to my right shoulder) and as a result I am in some (more or less constant) discomfort. My doctor prescribed Physical Therapy (PT) for me. 

So once or twice a week I go to our local hospital for my PT sessions. To enter the hospital I have to be screened for covid-19. So each and every single hospital visit I have to hear and to answer the same boring / routine / monotonous (dull, tedious, and repetitious; lacking in variety and interest) questions and have a temperature scan. 

And I began to 'hassle' the hospital staff. 

"Sir have you an appointment today?"

"No. I just wanted to come to the hospital and 'hang out' all day for something to do. Of course I have an appointment."

"Do you ask these questions in your sleep?"

"I don't know IF I have been around anyone with covid-19 because many carriers are asymptomatic."

And on and on and on .. blah blah blah ..

Step 10 - The other day I did a spot check inventory (pages 87 and 88 in the Big Book) of myself.

I don't like how I am acting to these dedicated hospital employees! I am going to change the way I have been acting! Just one time, the next time I am here, I will be polite and I will act courteously.

And? I did.

As I left the hospital I said to the door staff, "How did I do today?" All of them smiled and gave me a thumbs-up.

And? I am now batting 100%. So far I have been a nice, polite person.

If I can do the deal, so too can you, IF you want to live our design for living.

No comments:

Post a Comment