MANY OF YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO VISIT THE MANY IMPORTANT HISTORICAL SITES OF THE FELLOWSHIP OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS.

I PLAN TO SHARE WITH YOU PHOTOS I HAVE TAKEN OF THEM AS WELL AS PHOTOS I HAVE TAKEN OF SPECIAL MEETING LOCATIONS THAT I HAVE VISITED.





Thursday 30 May 2019

MAY 30, 19 .. SOME THOUGHTS ABOUT WORKING WITH A TRANSLATOR

Alcohol consumption in Russia. Below is an interesting link about this issue here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_consumption_in_Russia

What is interesting is the challenge of working with a translator. First, I may speak for say 30-seconds. Often, not always but quite often, my various translators will take several minutes to then translate what I have just said. 

This is especially true for the Serenity Prayer. It takes me about 15-seconds to quietly say it. It will take the assembled multitude of Russian members maybe a minute to say the same prayer.

Back to the lag in time from when I stop speaking and my translator begins.

I can lose-my-train-of-thought during a normal conversation. Then here I am, standing before a meeting, silent, not knowing what my translator is saying, all the while having to remember where I left off so I can resume talking about the same thing.

My mind can, and does, wander.

"Let's see. What was I saying?"


Then the real issue : Is what I said being transmitted to the members?

I have actually had this happen. 

I'll not forget it. It was about the Fourth Tradition. I was asked if a member in a meeting who was obviously drinking, should be allowed to remain in the meeting.

I said that in Tradition 4 a group has a right to take a group conscience and, as a group, decide how to handle this issue.

I went on to say no member should ever be allowed to totally disrupt a meeting.  

In the group, there was a member who speaks English. I expressed my above opinion. My translator translated what I said.

The English speaking member said aloud : "That is NOT what he said!"

My translator got up and almost walked out she was so upset at having been taken-to-task over her translation.

Bottom Line : It remains one grand adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment